Dr. Hilly Moodrick-Even Khen
|2007||LL.D, The Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem .
Title of LL.D thesis: The Influence of Combating Terrorism on the Distinction between Combatants and Civilians in International Humanitarian Law. Name of Supervisors: Prof. Mordechai Kremnitzer and Dr. Yuval Shany.
|2001||M.A.,(magna cum laude) The Faculty of Humanities, Tel Aviv University.
Title of Master's thesis: Obligations at the Border: The Moral Obligations of a Former Colonizer towards its Former Colony. Name of Supervisor: Professor J. J. Ross.
|2000||LL.B, The Faculty of Law, Interdisciplinary Center of Herzliya.|
|1996||B.A., Philosophy and English Literature, The Faculty of Humanities, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.|
|2011- to date||Senior Lecturer, Sha’arei Mishpat Academic Center|
|2006- 2010||Assistant Professor at Sha’arei Mishpat Academic Center.|
Teaching and Research Topics
International humanitarian law, International human rights law, international criminal law, philosophy and law
Recent Professional Publications
- Terrorism and International law: Combatants and Civilians in Modern Battlefields (The Sacher Institute for Legislative Research and Comparative Law, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2010) [Hebrew]
Articles in Scientific Journals
- Revisiting Universal Jurisdiction: The Application of the Complementarity Principle by National Courts and Implications for Ex-Post Justice in the Syrian Civil War, (30 (2) Emory International Law Review, forthcoming, 2015)
- Double Jeopardy in Extradition Laws in Israel: On Reciprocity and Human Rights in Extradition Procedures (Mishpat Umimshal, forthcoming, 2014) [Hebrew].
- Juvenile Justice in Belligerent Occupation Regimes: Comparing the Coalition Provisional Authority Administration in Iraq with the Israeli Military Government in the Territories Administered by Israel (42(2), Denver Journal of International Law and Policy, 119 (2014))
- Hilly Moodrick Even Khen, Alona Hagay-Frey, Breaking the Silence: The IMT at Nuremberg and Sexual Crimes against Women in the Holocaust (35 Women's Rights Law Reporter 2013-2014.)
- Having It Both Ways: The Question of Legal Regimes in Gaza and the West Bank (Israel Studies, Volume 16, Number 2, Summer 2011)
- Can We Now Tell What “Direct Participation in Hostilities” is? HCJ 769/02 The Public Committee Against Torture in Israel v. the Government of Israel 40 (1) Isr. L. Rev. 213-244 (2007).
- Obligations at the Border: the Obligations of an Occupying State towards an Occupied State 8 (2) Mishpat Umimshal, (Law and Government in Israel ) 471, 2005 [Hebrew].
Chapters in Books
- Revisiting the Protection of Individual Rights and Community Rights on the Grounds of Religious Belief in Israel: A Theoretical Criticism and Case Analysis, in, La gobernanza de la diversidad religiosa. Personalidad y territorialidad en las sociedades multiculturales, (Francisca Pérez – Madrid, Montserrat Gas Aixendri (eds.), Aranzadi, Cizur Menor 2013).
- Child Terrorists: Why And How Should They Be Protected By International Law, in, International Law and Armed Conflict: Challenges in the 21st Century (Noëlle Quénivet and Shilan Shah-Davis, eds.) (T.M.C Asser Institut, 2010)
- Children as Direct Participants in Hostilities: New Challenges for International Humanitarian Law and International Criminal Law, in, New Battlefields/Old Laws: Critical Debates from the Hague Conventions to Asymmetric Warfare (William C. Banks, ed., Columbia U.P, 2010)
The Laws of War, in, International Law (Robbie Sabel, ed. Sacher Institute for Legislative Research and Comparative Law, 2nd ed., The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2010) [Hebrew
Professional Activities and Committee Membership
|2011- to date||Member of the ILA, participating in a study group on Private Law Principles and International Law.|
|2008- to date||Board member of the Israeli Law and Society Association.|
|2007- 2011||The Israeli Association of Public Law.|
|2002-2005||The Israel Association of University Women.|
Academic and Professional Activities
|June 2011||Special visit and lecture at the U.N on behalf of the Special Representative for the Secretary General for Children in Armed Conflicts.|
|2011- to date||Reviewing papers submitted to Hukim, the Israeli Journal on Legislation, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.|
|2010- to date||Reviewing papers submitted to the European Journal of International Relations.|
|2009- to date||Serving as a Judge at the Israel National Round of the Jessup Competition.|
|2008-to date||Reviewing papers submitted to the Israel Law Review.|
Active Participation In Recent Academic Conferences
|February 2015||Affirmative Action for Israeli-Arabs in Israel, Equal is Not Enough: Exploring novel theoretical and empirical approaches to the shaping of, , (in)equalities, University of Antwerp, Belgium|
|June 2014||National Identities in Multinational Societies, Inaugural Conference of the international Society of Public Law: Rethinking the Boundaries of Public Law and Public Space, University of Florence, Italy.|
|October 2013||Individual Rights and Community Rights on the Grounds of Religious Beliefs, International Symposium: The Governance of Religious Diversity, Organized by the university of Barcelona and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel|
|July 2013||Juvenile Justice in Occupation Regimes: Comparing Procedures of Detention and Trial of Children in the Coalition Provisional Authority Administration in Iraq with those in the Israeli Military Government in the Territories Administered by Israel, Children and War: Past and Present Conference, University of Salzburg, Austria|
|August 2012||The Use of General Principles in International Criminal Law, a presentation of a study group project at the 75th International Law Association Conference, Sofia, Bulgaria.|
|June 2011||Having It Both Ways: The Question of Legal Regimes in Gaza and the West Bank, AIS 27th Annual International Conference June 13-15, 2011, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA|
|September 2010||Defence of and Defence from Child Terrorists, The Dual Role of International Law, Children and War: Past and Present Conference, University of Salzburg, Austria.|
|September 2008||Children as Direct Participants in Hostilities: New Challenges for International Humanitarian Law and International Criminal Law, World Summit on Counter-Terrorism: Terrorism’s Global Impact, ICT’s 8th International Conference, Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya, Israel.|
|September 2008||Defence of and Defence from Child Terrorists: The Dual Role of International Law, International Law and Armed Conflict Symposium, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK.|