Prof. Israel Gilead
||LLD, Hebrew University- Defective Products (Liability) Law, 1980 and the Economic Analysis of Law .
||BA in Economics, Hebrew University (with distinction)
||LLB, Hebrew University(first in class)
Fields of research and teaching
Tort Law, corporations, limitation of civil actions, economic analysis of tort law, bills and notes
Faculty of Law, Hebrew University
||Bora Laskin Chair in Law
||Full Professor , Sha`arei Mishpat Academic Center
|1991 - 1992
||Senior Lecturer (tenure), Faculty of Law, Haifa U.
|2002 – present
||Chairperson and member of various subcommittees of the Council of Higher Education approving LL.B and LL.M college degrees
|2007 – 2013
||- Head of executive Committee, National Institute For Testing and Evaluation (psychometric tests)
|1985 - 2012
||Member and Head of various disciplinary bodies
|2006 – 2008
||Member of the (Tenure) Appointment Committee – Humanities and Social Sciences, Hebrew University
||Dean, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University
||Vice Dean, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University
Law reform committees and related activities
||Drafting the chapters on Tort Law and Tort Remedies in the proposed 2011 draft of the Israeli Civil Code
||Drafting the 2005 Law regulating the tort immunity of public officials
||Drafting the new Limitation of Civil Actions Law which is part of the proposed Civil Code
|1996 - 2005
||- Member of the Codification Committee on Israeli Private-Law - headed by Chief Justice Barak .
||Serving as a Judge at the Israel National Round of the Jessup Competition.- Member of the Law Reform Committee on the Israeli Law - of Torts - headed by Chief Justice Barak
||Member and principal researcher of the Law Reform Committee on the of Limitation of Actions - headed by Chief Justice Barak
|2004 - present
||Member of the American Law Institute
|1999 – present
||Member of the European Group on Tort Law (EGTL) Co-leading two projects of the Group on Proportional Liability And Prescription
|1999 – present
||Member of the European Center of Tort and Insurance Law (ECTIL)
Statutory and Public Commissions
||Member of a Public Committee established by the Ministry of Justice to recommend ways of coping with the "Wrongful Life" dilemma
|2003 - 2008
||Member of a statutory commission appointed by Israeli Government to appoint Directors to the nationalized pension funds
||Member of a statutory commission established to propose criteria for assisting victims of a building collapse disaster
|2001 - Present
||Participating as an expert in meetings, on various issues, of the parliamentary Constitution, Law & Justice committee and the Education Committee
Boards of Directors
|2012 – present
||Director at Harel Insurance and Finance group Head of the Audit Committee, Risk Management Committee and Remuneration
|2005 - 2011
||Director at Bank Leumi – head of its Audit Committee and Procedure Committee and member of various committees
|1987 - 2005
||Member of other boards of directors and of investment committees of - financial bodies
Professional Publications since 2007
- Tort Law: Limits of Liability" (Sacher Institute - the Hebrew University (2012) (1,500 p.) (Hebrew, 2 Volumes).
- Proportional Liability – Analytical and Comparative Perspectives (I. Gilead, M. Green, B. Koach eds., De Gruyter, forthcoming 2013)
Articles in Edited Journals
- "On Models of Negligence: Part B" 7 Mishpatin on Line 1 (2014) (Hebrew)
- "On Models of Negligence " Mishpatin on Line (forthcoming 2014) (Hebrew)
- "On the Proper Scope of Legal Causation in Negligence Law" 29 Bar-Ilan Law Studies 169 (2013) (Hebrew).
- "Human Rights in Tort Law and in Contract law - the Quiet Revolution" (with D. Barak-Erez) 8 Kiryat Mishpat (2009) (Hebrew).
- "Tort Law in Chief Justice Barak judgments" in Barak's Book (Mishpatim) 487 (2009) (Hebrew).
- "Rejoinder: The New Law of Limitation of Civil Actions" 36 Mishpatin (2007) 855 (Hebrew).
- "Comments on the Tort Provisions in the Proposed new Civil Code" 36 Mishpatim 761 (2007) (Hebrew).
Articles in Edited Books
- "Proportional Liability – general report" in Proportional Liability (I. Gilead, M. Green, B. Koach eds., 1 – 67 (De Gruyter,2013).
- "Israeli Report on Proportional liability" in Proportional Liability (I. Gilead, M. Green, B. Koach eds., 183 – 198 (De Gruyter,2013).
- "Introduction to Economic Analysis of Loss Division" in Aggregation and Divisibility of Damage" 449 (K. Oliphant ed., Springer, 2009).
- "Aggregation and divisibility of damage in Israeli Tort Law" in Aggregation and Divisibility of Damage" 255 (K. Oliphant ed., Springer, 2009).
- "Economic Analysis of Prescription in Tort Law" in Tort and Insurance Law Yearbook: European Tort Law 2007 (H, Koziol and B. Steininger eds, Springer, 2008).
- "Limitation of Civil Actions" in The Draft Civil Code for Israel in Comparative Perspective (Kurt Siehr & Reinhard Zimmerman eds.) 192 (2008).
- "Harm Screening Under Negligence Law" in Emerging Issues in Tort Law (J. Neyers, E. Chamberlain & S.G.A. Pitel eds., Hart Publishing) 251 (2007).
- Daphne Barak-Erez and Israel Gilead "Human Rights in Private Law: The Israeli Case" in Human Rights and the Private Sphere – A Comparative Study 252 (Routledge-Cavendish, Dawn Oliver and Jorg Fedtke eds., 2007).