2009 Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan
Vision Versus Verity: Doubt and Skepticism in Maimonides' Jurisprudence (Hebrew)
Advisors: Prof. Hanina Ben-Menahem, Hebrew University, Jerusalem; Prof. Shimshon Ettinger, Bar-Ilan University
- President's Scholarship
- Wolf Award: 2008
- Schupf Scholarship Award: 2007/8
- VERA Award: 2007
- Rector's Award: 2006
2004 Masters of Law Degree (LLM) Hebrew University, Jerusalem
"The Eye and the Derrick: Burden of Proof in Jewish Law "(Hebrew)
Summa cum laude
Bahana Award for Graduate Research in Jewish Law: 2001
2003 Qualified mediator, with specialty in family mediation, Gomeh – The Israeli Center for Mediation, Tel Aviv
1993 Admitted, Israel Bar Association
1988/9 – 1991/2 Bachelor's Degree in Law (LLB) Hebrew University, Jerusalem
Magna cum laude
Dean's list for academic years: 1988/9-1989/90-1990/1
Member editorial board, Mishpatim Law Review: 1990/1
Lecturer (tenure as of 2010)
Areas of Specialization
Philosophy of Law; Jewish Law; Labor Law
Professional Activities and Committee Membership
Member (since 2011), Committee for Students’ Affairs
- Equity, Courts of Equity and Corporate Law, The First Private Law Consortium, Bar-Ilan University, Faculty of Law (Bar-Ilan University Faculty of Law, In Partnership with: Harvard Law School, U.S.A.; University of Trento, Italy; University of Oslo, Norway; University of Pennsylvania Law School, U.S.A; McGill University, Canada), June 26-27, 2013, Bar-Ilan University, Faculty of Law.
- Models of Creativity, Restraints of Humility: Secular Legislation through the Prism of Jewish Law, The Jewish Law Association 17th International Conference, (The Jewish Law Association and Yale Law School) New Haven, July 30-August 2, 2012.
- Iniquities Ensnare the Wicked: The Ethical Theory of Proverbs 1-9, 2012 International Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature, (Society of Biblical Literature and Universiteit van Amsterdam) Amsterdam, July 22-26, 2012.
- Causation in Tort: The Jewish Law Perspective (Hebrew), Third Zova Conference on Jewish Law: Jewish Law and Torts (Faculty of Law, The Institute for Research in Jewish Law, The Harry and Michael Sacker Institute for Comparative Law and Research, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Buchman Faculty of Law, Tel Aviv University; Faculty of Law, Bar-Ilan University) Zova, June 25-27, 2012.
- Rereading “The Generation”: Rabbi Kook’s Eastern-European Thought on Jaffa’s Shores, Jewish Spirituality in Eastern Europe – A Textual Perspective, (Hebrew & Jewish Studies Department, University College) London, June 6-7, 2012.
- Researcher, research forum on: Legal Formalism and Halacha, (Bar Ilan University, Faculty of Law, Esther and Rommy Tiger Program), 2012.
- “A New Reading of Rabbi Kook’s ‘The Generation’” (Hebrew), Conference Commemorating the 75th Anniversary of Rabbi Kook’s Death, Bar Ilan University (Department of Jewish Studies; (Magal – The Ludwig and Erica Jesselson Institute for Advanced Torah Studies), 1 September, 2010.
- “Norms of Doubt: A Maimonidean Perspective on the Threshold of Doubt” The Jewish Law Association 16th International Conference, (The Jewish Law Association and Netanya Academic College) Netanya, June 21-24, 2010.
- “The Majority Decides? The Limits of Majority’s Power and the Problem of Minority Representation” (Hebrew), Symposium on: The Halacha of Democracy, The Israel Democracy Center, Jerusalem, 6 June, 2010.
- “Marriage as Contract or as Metaphysics: A Halachic-Philosophical Inquiry” (Hebrew), Conference on: Family in the Eye of the Storm, Orot Israel College, Elkana, Israel, 10 May, 2010.
- Researcher, Research Forum on: Halacha and Reality, Bar Ilan University, Faculty of Law Esther and Rommy Tiger Program; Mishpetei Eretz Institute for Halacha and Law, 2010.
- “Lost Paradise: Four Narratives of the Original Position and the Discourse on Human Rights” (Hebrew), Symposium on: The Biometric Database Law – Ethical, Legal and Halachic Dilemmas, Bar Ilan University, Faculty of Law (Esther and Rommy Tiger Program; Mishpetei Eretz Institute for Halacha and Law) 17 March, 2010.
- “Maimonides on Testimony in Agunah and Divorce: Epistemic Implications”, Conference on Jewish Family Law, the Agunah and General Issues in Jewish Law, Fordham University (Fordham University Law School and the Jewish Law Association), New York, 7-8 February, 2010.
- “Rigidity and Flexibility in Jewish Evidence Law – an Examination of Maimonides’ Position” (Hebrew), Seminar for Judges, Institute of Advanced Judicial Studies, Neve Ilan, 18 January, 2010.
- "Royal and Judicial Leadership in Maimonides" (Hebrew), Symposium on "The Posek as a Leader", Bar Ilan University, Faculty of Law, The Mozes S. Schupf Fellowship Program, in appreciation of the support of Dr. Monique and Dr. Mordecai Katz, 22 October, 2009.
- “‘A Person Sees to the Eyes’: Two Models of Dealing with Legal and Halachic Uncertainty – Exploring Maimonides’ Jurisprudence” (Hebrew), Seminar, The Forum for Jewish Law and Halachic Research, The Jewish Law Association, Bar Ilan University (Faculty of Law), 15 February, 2009.
- “Acquisition of Future Assets: The Rule and Its Implications in Jewish Law” (Hebrew), Seminar for Judges, Institute of Advanced Judicial Studies, Neve Ilan, 30 October, 2008.
- The Experience of Presence in The Halachic, Philosophical and Educational Writings of Rabbi M. Z. Neria (Hebrew), Conference on Rabbi Moshe Zvi Neria: His Teachings and Works – A Decade Since His Passing, Bar Ilan University (The Faculty for Judaic Studies), 30 May, 2006.
- Halachic Problems Regarding the Usage of Modern Financial Instruments (Hebrew), Conference on New Financial Instruments – Halachic and Ethical Issues, Bar-Ilan University (Magal – The Ludwig and Erica Jesselson Institute for Advanced Torah Studies; The Aharon Meir Center for the Banking Study and Research; The Department of Economics, The Faculty of Social Studies; The Office of the Campus Rabbi), 19 January, 2006.
- The Law of the Land: The Equalizing Effect of Sabbatical Laws, Conference on Equity and Jewish Law, Harvard University (Gruss Chair of Talmudic Civil Law, Harvard University; The Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem; The Institute of Jewish Law, Boston University School of Law), 20-21 May, 2001.
- 2014 is projected for publication of a monograph on Maimonides’ treatment of uncertainty in law and Halacha, in comparison with his general philosophical and theological work..
- Norms of Doubt: A Maimonidean Perspective on the Threshold of Doubt, forthcoming in JEWISH LAW ASSOCIATION STUDIES XXV – THE NETANYA CONFERENCE VOLUME.
- Limited Knowledge, Unlimited Love: A Maimonidean Paradox, 3 THE UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO JOURNAL OF JEWISH THOUGHT, (2012) (http://cjs.utoronto.ca/tjjt/node/47).
- Maimonides on Testimony in Agunah and Divorce: Epistemic Implications, in JEWISH LAW ASSOCIATION STUDIES XXIII – THE FORDHAM CONFERENCE VOLUME (2012) 13.
- Marriage as Contract or Metaphysics: An Halachic-Philosophical Analysis of the Procedure of Divorce in Jewish Law,in AMADOT 4 (2013): 65.
- The Reflected Mirror: Land Registry Through the Prism of Jewish Law, forthcoming in THE MENAHEM ELON MEMORIAL VOLUME.
- Personality, Utility and Nothingness: A Conceptual Introduction to Jewish Property Law (Hebrew), in MISHPETEI ERETZ – A COLLECTION OF ESSAYS IN HALACHIC LAW, VOL. III: PROPERTY AND COMMERCIAL LAW, 19 (Ido Rechnitz, et al., eds., Ofra, 2010).
- Financial Instruments: A Halachic Perspective (Hebrew), 40 QUARTERLY BANKING REVIEW 36 (2006).
- Introduction – The Quest for Truth, The Specter of Falsehood, in MISHPETEI ERETZ – A COLLECTION OF ESSAYS IN HALACHIC LAW, VOL. II: EVIDENCE AND THE NON-EVIDENT: PROOF AND PLEADINGS IN HALACHIC LAW 15 (Yaron Unger editor in chief, Ido Rechnitz editor, Ofra, 2004).
- Introduction to the Laws of Testimony: Fixed Rules and Inner Conviction (שכנוע הלב ) – A Study of the Rambam's Approach (Hebrew), ibid, 43.
- Reconciling the Approach of the Rambam Concerning Testimony in a Deed (Hebrew), ibid, 287.
- A. Kirschenbaum: The Criminal Confession in Jewish Law (Book Review, Hebrew), ibid, 519.
- Legislation in the State of Israel Through the Prism of Halacha: Human Creativity and its Limitations (Hebrew), in MISHPETEI ERETZ – A COLLECTION OF ESSAYS IN HALACHIC LAW, VOL. I: JURIST, JURISDICTION AND JURSIPRUDENCE 21(Yaron Unger ed., Ofra, 2002).
- Making the Halachic Legal Procedure More Flexible – 'Horizontally' or 'Vertically'? (Hebrew), ibid, 179.
- Estoppel and Reopening Cases – The Finality of Res Judicata According to Maimonides (Hebrew), ibid. 220.
- Listen to the Quarreling Brothers – the Jewish Monetary Court Between Authority and Arbitration (Hebrew), PARASHAT HASHAVUA, no. 173, Devarim 5764 (Aviad Hacohen and Michael Vigoda editors, 2004), (cited in Supreme court decision רע"א 32/3322 ; Jerusalem District court decision ה"פ )י ם( - 33/2323 ).
- Internal and External Meaning: Exploring the Ethics of Rabbi Eliezer HaKappar (Hebrew), MESSILOT 103 (Karnei Shomron, 2004).
- Place and Identity – A Commentary on Ethics of the Fathers Chapter I (Hebrew), MIKARMEI SHOMRON – JUBILEE VOLUME, KARNEI SHOMRON HESDER YESHIVA 283.