University of Cambridge:
Law Tripos Part I 1978 Class I
Law Tripos Part II 1979 Class I
LL.B. (now redesignated LL.M.) 1980 Class I
Israeli Bar Association:
"Laws of the State of Israel" (Examinations for Foreign Lawyers) - all heads passed or exempted 1991
London School of Economics:
1978 – 1980 Various awards and prizes from Newnham College and the University of Cambridge.
1990-91 Golda Meir Fellowship, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
1995-98 Gostella Scholarship , Israel
Senior Lecturer, Sha’arei Mishpat Law School (2001 to date)
Visiting Lecturer, Bar Ilan University (2001 to date)
Visiting Lecturer, Academic Center for Business and Law (2012 to date)
Bar Ilan University, Lecturer in Law (1993-2001)
Ramat Gan Law College and Hakirya Ha'akademit, External Lecturer (1995-2001)
London School of Economics, Lecturer in Law (1982 to 1993 (
University of Nottingham, Lecturer in Law (1980 to 1982)
- Co-Editor of the Hebrew language journal "The Family in Law Review" (first volume published in August 2007).
- Co-Director of the Center for the Rights of Children and Family at Sha’arei Mishpat Law School (from 2005).
- Member of the Shifman Committee to Examine the Law Relating To Maintenance Payments for Children in Israel (appointed by the Minister of Justice) (from 2006).
- Israeli Correspondent to the Hague Conference on Private International Law's data base Incadat, which contains summaries of cases decided under the Hague Child Abduction Convention (from 2004).
- Israeli Correspondent to the International Survey of Family Law (from 1996).
- Visiting Fellow at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Faculty of Law l990 - 1991.
- Consultant to English Law Commission on the 'Ground for Divorce', 1985- 1993
Areas of Specialization
England: Family Law, Comparative Family Law, Private International Law, Personal Taxation, Torts, Contract.
Israel: Private International Law, Parent and Child Law, International Family Law, International Child Abduction and Introduction to English Law.
- "A Modern Approach to the Incidental Question in the Conflict of Laws” (published by Nijhoff, 1997).
- The Hague Child Abduction Convention – A Critical Analysis" (forthcoming in summer 2013, Hart Publishing).
Articles and Essays (in chronological order).
- "Section 30 Law of Property Act 1925 and Unmarried Cohabitees" (1982) 12 Family Law 108.
- "When a Polygamous Marriage is not a Polygamous Marriage." (l983). 46 Modern Law Review 653.
- "Tax Treatment of Separation and Divorce" [l985] Family Law 74.
- "Taxation of Maintenance Payments for Children" [l985] British Tax Review 306.
- Controlling Forum-Shopping: The Impact of MacShannon v Rockware Glass Ltd." (1986) 35 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 374 - commended by Lord Goff in the House of Lords' decision in The Spiliada [l987] A.C. 460.
- "Stays in Matrimonial Proceedings" (1987) Family Law 74
- Note on Sherdley v Sherdley [l987] British Tax Review 337.
- "Reforming the Taxation of Maintenance Payments - the Impact on Child Support" (1988) The Journal of Child Law, vol.1 p.31.
- "The further implications of Spiliada in the Light of Recent Case Law: Stays in Matrimonial Proceedings" (1989) International and Comparative Law Quarterly 946
- "Clauses l08 and l09 Finance Bill l989" [l989] No. 6 British Tax Review (with Judith Freedman).
- "Discrimination and Anomalies in Personal Tax Reliefs" (l990) l40 New Law Journal l764.
- "Les conflicts de Lois" in "Droit des Affaires par pays" Vol. 3 "Statut des Personnes" (1989) (Editions Jupiter)
- "New options for the married couples allowance"  British Tax Review 214 and "Maintenance Payments and the Child Support Act British Tax Review 217 .
- "Divorce Reform"  Family Law 580.
- "The Hague Convention on Child Abduction, Family Law and Private International Law" (1995) 44 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 771.
- "Divorce Problems of Ethnic Minorities" in M.D.A. Freeman (ed) "Divorce: Where Next" (published by Dartmouth, 1996).
- “The Right to Parenthood: Surrogacy and Frozen Embryos” A. Bainham (ed) The International Survey of Family Law 1996 at p. 237. (1998(
- "Private International Law at the End of the Twentieth Century: Progress or Regress?” Israeli Reports to the XV International Congress of Comparative Law (1999)
- "Choice of Law in Relation to Matrimonial Property: The Existing Law and Proposals for Reform" (2001) 16 Bar-Ilan Law Studies 425 (Hebrew)
- . “Habitual Residence of Children under the Hague Child Abduction Convention: Theory and Practice” Child and Family Law Quarterly Vol 13 No 1, 1 (2001).
- "Child Protection in the Israeli Supreme Court: Tortious Parenting, Physical Punishment and Criminal Child Abuse” in A. Bainham (ed) The International Survey of Family Law 2001.
- “Policy Considerations in Determining Habitual Residence of a Child and the Relevance of Context” (Journal of Transnational Law and Policy Vol. 11, 101 (2001)
- “Surrogacy in Israel: An Analysis of the Law in Practice” (in R. Cook and S-D. Sclater (eds) “Surrogate Motherhood: International Perspectives” (Hart, 2003).
- "The Hague Child Abduction Convention and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child” (Transnational Law and Contemporary Problems Vol. 12 (No. 2), 393 (2002). A shortened form of this paper also appears under the title, “The Hague Child Abduction Convention and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child” in P. Lodrup and E. Modvar (eds), Family Law and Human Rights (Glyldendal, 2004).
- Three Years On - : An Analysis of the Delegalisation of Physical Punishment of Children by the Israeli Court", The International Journal of Children’s Rights 11: 235, 2003.
- "Returning Abducted Children to Israel and the Intifada” (2003) 17 Australian Journal of Family Law 297
- The Rights of Abducted Children: Is the Hague Convention (Return of Children) 1991 Consistent with the Doctrine of the Rights of the Child? (2003) 20 Bar-Ilan Law Studies 421 (Hebrew).
- Surrogacy And PAS In The Israeli Supreme Court and The Reports Of The Committee On Children’s Rights” in A. Bainham (ed) The International Survey of Family Law (Jordan, 2004).
- "On the 'Closest Connection' Approach in Israeli Private International Law," (2005) Netanya Academic College Law Review 349 (Hebrew).
- "A New Choice of Law in Tort: The Good and the Bad," (2006) 5 Netanya Academic College Law Review 491 (Hebrew).
- "The Right of the Child to be Raised by his Biological Parents: Lessons from the 'Baby of Strife' Case," The Family in Law Review Vol 1, 163(2007) (Hebrew)
- 32. “In Search of a Settled Interpretation of Article 12(2) of the Hague Child Abduction Convention,”Child and Family Law Quarterly Vol. 20, No. 1, 64 (2008).
- "Protection or Autonomy –The Child Abduction Experience in Y. Ronen and C.W. Greenbaum (ed) "The Case for the Child- Towards the Construction of a New Agenda", Intersentia Publishers (2008) at p. 269.
- "The Right of the Child to be Raised by his Biological Parents -Lessons from the Israeli 'Baby of Strife' Case," Children's Legal Rights Journal Vol. 27 (2007) 85.
- "The Voice of the Child in the Israeli Family Court," W. Atkin (ed)The International Survey of Family Law 2008 Edition 185.
- "The Right of the Child to Participate: Theory and Practice in the IsraeliFamily Court,” The Family in Law Review, Vol 2, (2008) 207 (Hebrew).
- "The Relevance of Religious Law and Religious and Cultural Considerations in International Child Abduction Cases” Journal of Law and Family Studies Vol. 12, 453-497 (2010).
- "Between Tort Law, Contract Law and Child Law: How to Compensate the Left-Behind Parent in International Child Abduction Cases (together with Binyamin Shmueli) 23 Columbia Journal of Gender and Law 64 (2012)
- Child and Family Law in Israel: Dynamism and Schizophrenia (together with Ayelet Blecher-Prigat) in E. Sutherland (ed), The Future of Child and Family Law: International Predictions (Cambridge University Press, 2012).
- "The Developing Right to Parenthood in Israeli Law" The International Survey of Family Law, 2013 Edition (forthcoming).
- "Defects of the Substantive Law of Divorce" (l986). This paper (about l2,500 words) was commissioned by Professor Brenda Hoggett Q.C., Law Commissioner (now Baroness Hale of Richmond).
- "Reform of the Ground for Divorce". This major paper (over 20,000 words) was commissioned by Professor Hoggett as a follow-up to my earlier paper. It forms the basis of the Law Commission Discussion Paper on the Ground for Divorce (Law Com. No. l70) (1988).
- A Report on the Operation of the Hague Child Abduction Convention in Israel (together with Professor N. Lowe )(published by the U.S. Department of Justice’s National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (2005).
- Thomas, "Taxation and Trusts" (l984) Conveyancer 72.
- Collier, "The Conflict of Laws" and Jaffey, Introduction to the Conflict of Laws" (l989) Modern Law Review.
- Gordon, "Foreign Divorces - Law and Practice" (l989) International and Comparative Law Quarterly l002.
- Wylie, "Taxation of Husband and Wife"  British Tax Review.
- G. Davies et al. "Simple Quarrels - Negotiating Money and Property Disputes on Divorce"  Legal Studies.
Selected Papers Given At Conferences And Seminars
- The tax treatment of marriage breakdown" to the annual conference of the Association of Women Law Teachers (London, June l984).
- Reform of the Law of Domicile" to the Society of Public Teachers of Law Private International Law Group (London, September l986).
- The Future Implications of Spiliada" to a Conference organised by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (London, February l989).
- The Hague Convention on International Child Abduction and Conflicts Theory" to the Society of Public Teachers of Law Private
- International Law Group (Oxford, September 1992).
- Religious Divorces in English Law: Ethnic Discrimination?" to the Second International Congress on Prejudice, Discrimination and Conflict( organised by the Winston Institute) (Jerusalem, July 1994).
- Habitual Residence and the Hague Child Abduction Convention” to a Conference of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law and the Hague Conference on Private International Law (London, April 1996).
- "Family Law Aspects of the Siamese Twins Case," to a Conference on the Siamese Twins case at Bar Ilan University (January 2001) (Hebrew)
- "The Hague Child Abduction Convention and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child” at the 11th World Conference of the International Society of Family Law (Oslo, August 2002(
- "The Relationship Between Children's Rights, The Best Interests of the Child and Parental Rights" at a Conference on the Conclusions of the Rotlevi Committee at Sha'arei Mishpat Law College (Hod Hasharon, November 2004) (Hebrew).
- The Right of the Child to be Raised by his Biological Parents" at a Conference on Adoption in the Era of Human Rights at Sha'arei Mishpat Law College (Hod Hasharon, May 2005) (Hebrew).
- "The Tender Age Presumption and the Best Interests of the Child" at the Women's Parliament (Tel Aviv, November 2005) and The Conference of the Rabbinical Courts (Haifa, December 2006) (Hebrew(
- "Implementation in Israel of the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction: A Success Story? At a Conference to mark 15 years since the coming into the force of the Hague Convention (Return of Children) Law 1991 at Sha'arei Mishpat Law College (Hod Hasharon, January 2007) (Hebrew).
- "The Right of a Child to be Raised by his Biological Parents – Lessons from the 'Baby of Strife' Case" at a Symposium on "Children's Rights and Adoption" (Utah, March 2007) (participation by video recording).
- "The Voice of the Child in the Israeli Court" at the European Regional Conference of the International Society of Family Law (Chester, July 2007(
- "Choice of Law in Relation to Matrimonial Property: Equality Versus Legitimate Expectations" at the 13th World Conference of the International Society of Family Law (Vienna, September 2008).
- “The Relevance of Religious Law and Religious and Cultural Considerations in International Child Abduction Cases” at the Israel Regional Conference of the International Society of Family Law (Hod Hasharon, June 2009(
- "The Impact of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child on Decision-making under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction” at the Common-law Judicial Conference On International Family Law (Windsor, August 2009).
- "The Influence of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child on the Implementation of the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction 1980” at the Inaugural Conference of the Family Law and Practice Centre ( London, July 2010).
- "Application of the Hague Abduction Convention – Comparative Aspects" to Conference on International Child Abduction and Relocation at Bar Ilan University (Ramat Gan, May 2011)(Hebrew(
- "International Aspects of Inheritance Law" to the Annual Conference of the Israeli Bar Association, (Eilat, May 2011) (Hebrew)
- "International Aspects of Matrimonial Property Relations Between Spouses and Unmarried Cohabitees" to the Annual Haifa University Conference on Family Law (Haifa, June 2011)(Hebrew).
- "The Status of the Child in Disputes between his Parents which Relate to Him" " to the Annual Haifa University Conference on Family Law (Haifa, June 2012)(Hebrew).
Work in Progress
- "Rights of Parents in the Era of Children's Rights"
- "Back to the lex loci delicti: The Rise and Fall of the Most Significant Relationship Approach to Choice of Law in Tort in Israel."
- "Gender Aspects Of Child Support: An Israeli Perspective" (to be delivered at a conference in London in July 2013)